It is often difficult to strike a difference that exists between a steam vs. an infrared sauna whenever you want an option that best suits your needs. For a better understanding of how to compare and contrast a steam room and infrared saunas, an in-depth knowledge of the individual and mechanical benefits is essential.
An infrared sauna is a wood designed room that is created to heat it users, with an infrared ray which penetrates the body. On the other hand, a steam room is an airtight room, made from non-porous substances that produce more heat in its environment with the aid of a steam generator. Steam rooms are created to generate moist heat, while infrared saunas create dry heat.
Both devices are accompanied by numerous health benefits like enhancing relaxation, detoxification, weight loss, and many more. Although the benefits they produce have some degree of difference due to their difference in heating method.
This article is a comprehensive guide that will provide you with all the needed information on the two bones of contention.
Infrared Sauna – What Is It?
Infrared saunas are built to use an infrared ray to warm the body. The ray used is pretty similar to those given off naturally by our body; due to this, they perpetrate the body deeply with an approximate of 1½ inches) to heat the body.
Due to the rays they produce that are active from within, the device is built to operate within 120-139 degrees Fahrenheit, and this temperature when compared to most conventional saunas is lower since the traditional saunas are made to function with a temperature range of 180 -200 degree Fahrenheit.
Steam Room – What Is It?
The steam room is designed with non-porous materials, like tile or glass, the device is an airtight room that helps to warm up the body with the use of humidity and high heat. The device boils water to generate misty steam, which in turn, is used to heat its environment.
The average temperature of a steam room range within 115 -120 degrees Fahrenheit, though when compared to the infrared sauna, the steam room feels hotter due to excess humidity, which most time escalates to 100%. The device heats the environment. As a result, the user gets warmed from outside-in.
Health Benefits of Infrared Saunas and Steam Rooms
Both the infrared and steam rooms offer a suitable platform to enhance health. Below are some of their health benefits.
The following are the primary health benefits of each.
Infrared Sauna Health Benefits
The infrared sauna produces heat; as a result, it creates a cozy, relaxing, and warm environment. And this helps to boost blood circulation in the body, alleviates pain, and relieves stress. Due to the modest temperature and low humidity, they carry out weight loss, and detoxification is one of their primary health benefits.
1. Concentrated Detoxification
When compared to the steam room, the infrared saunas has a higher heat rate. Since it produces rays that travel directly down the sink. It enhances blood flow, reduces clusters of water molecules, and enhance detoxification. This is unlike most steam rooms.
2. Weight Loss and Decrease in Cellulite
Infrared saunas can also enhance weight loss by burning down excess body fat. And this results from sufficient heat produced, thereby removing an increased level of sweat with an increase in the rate of metabolism. All of these activities can decrease calories 300+ in less than an hour. Yes, time is an important factor when you’re using a sauna.
3. Comfortable Use
Infrared saunas produce a mild body temperature, when compared to the temperature produced from a steam room. For those users that are diagnosed with lung or eye issues which can experience difficulty in breathing under high humidity. Going for an infrared sauna will help ensure a more beneficial and comfortable experience.
- SLIMMING, PAIN REDUCTION, CLEANSING, AGE DEFYING AND MORE - Developed by Nasa this system is proven to cause natural thermal effects in the human body while promoting the metabolic functions. Sweating promotes deep inner cleansing of the body, soothing sore muscles, weight loss (it can burn up to 500 calories in one session), and a lot more.
- TECHNOLOGY MAKES THIS THE BEST FIR TREATMENT DEVICE AVAILABLE TODAY - This blanket features a Japanese carbon fiber heating element. Made to last, we’ve used heavier duty fabrics than other similar f.i.r blankets: thick, top-grade PU on the outside and waterproof PVC with flexible tensile capabilities on the inside. We’ve gone even further by developing a closure with Velcro to replace temperamental zippers for a far longer lasting product that never lets you down.
- YOUR HOME SPA - We bring you an excellent, efficient, comfortable and durable FIR slimming blanket that you can rely on for years of use. This amazing sauna blanket saves time and will save thousands of dollars on expensive spa treatments. No more booking appointments and spending time traveling to the spa. You’ve got it right there on hand. Remember to read and follow the instructions in order to protect the product and ensure its durability.
- EXTREME SAFETY AND EASY TO USE AND STORE - In the event of any safety issues the heating automatically stops. You can set the timer for 20 - 60 minutes at a temperature of between 77 - 158 F with the easy to use and clearly marked control panel. 2-Zone controls enable you to heat the front and back together or separately. 67 x 33.5” when open, the blanket folds down neatly for easy storage.
- A PRODUCT YOU CAN RELY ON - Healthy Home Helper is a company dedicated to the welfare of our customers. We provide you with a full-year guarantee in the event of manufacturing issues.
Steam Room Health Benefits
A steam room helps to create an environment filled with high humidity and heat, which has great benefits to health. The air in the steam room provides its users the distinct advantages that differ from that of infrared saunas when compared.
1. Respiratory Relief
The steam room provides users relief from most respiratory issues like sinusitis, cold symptoms, and allergies. The moist air produced by the steam room can penetrate the nasal and sinuses passage; as a result, clear airways.
2. Hydration of the Skin
The moist, rich air helps to balance the oil production in the skin. This is one of its significant effects on the skin. Regular use of the device can lead to a moisturize skin, especially for users with dry skin.
3. Better Sleep
Once you’re done with the steam room and step out from it, the steam session mixes with the effort of your body to reduce the level of your body temperature, and this often leads to an excellent night rest. This benefit is obtainable when using an infrared sauna.
What to Consider When Purchasing
Whenever you are trying to make a decision on which of the devices will serve better, it is essential to note down some qualities that are inherent in both the steam room and the infrared saunas that are best for both individuals and family.
Infrared Sauna Considerations
Infrared saunas can serve as additional home benefits. It does not involve intense insulation if you want to maintain a high level of heat in the room. Above all, the device is much lighter and also easy to move from one spot to another.
Typically, an average sauna takes an hour or a couple of hours in the absence of a professional installation. Most infrared saunas are energy efficient since they use 1/3 of electrical power, unlike most traditional saunas.
Steam Room Considerations
Similar to the infrared sauna, the steam room can also be coupled together. It can be coupled independently or custom made, which most times involves the efforts of a contractor. Most steam rooms lack electrical and plumbing requirements. It needs to be equipped with a steam generator which requires unique installation within a safe location.
You will need sloped ceilings with an airtight space; this will help accommodate drain. Due to its moist environment, the growth of bacteria is possible. So it essential to clean the steam room regularly with the aid of a title cleaner and to ensure its drain periodically.
Deciding What’s Right for You
Both the steam room and the infrared saunas are accompanied by numerous health benefits that are obtainable by families and individuals. The room is built to ease up stress, improve happiness, health, and relaxation.
It is essential that before making any of the purchases to take out time to evaluate the needs of your family while reviewing facts like where the device be placed? What’s your health status? Or that of your family? Will you require the assistance of a contractor, or do you prefer installing it yourself? You will need to evaluate yourself with these questions to come to a reasonable conclusion between the steam room and infrared sauna, which will be required.
Steam Room vs Infrared Sauna: Health Risks
Both the use of infrared sauna and steam room requires common sense. Being excessively exposed to high temperatures can lead to dizziness or faintness. For pregnant women, specifically; those that are in their early stage are strongly advised to avoid direct exposure to excess heat.
If chances have it, that they want to experience a sauna or steam room, they should seek the attention of a medical expert before considering such therapy. If you have a medical history that covers diseases like liver failure, kidney disease or cardiac condition, the sauna therapy is not recommended, except with the consent of a professional.
- Your purchase includes One Dynamic Saunas Barcelona Infrared Sauna with 6 Heating Panels – 2 on the rear wall, 1 on each side wall, 1 under the bench & 1 on the floor
- Sauna dimensions – 36” W x 32" D x 67" H | Interior dimensions - 39” W x 36" D x 73" H | Roof overhand – Add 2” | Weight – 250 lbs. | EMF level – between 5mG to 10mG | Wavelength – Between 6 & 12 microns
- This item will be delivered curbside. To have the item delivered to a location of choice on your property, kindly make additional arrangements with a third party provider ahead of delivery
- Natural Reforested Canadian Hemlock wood construction
- FM/CD radio with MP3 auxiliary connection with 4 built-in speakers | 15” LCD Monitor with DVD Player | 6 Person Capacity | Interior reading/chromo therapy lighting system | Interior and Exterior LED Control Panel
Q. 1: Is a dry sauna the same as an infrared sauna?
A. Traditional saunas operate with a temperature that ranges within 185 -190 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature can be overwhelming to those who are very sensitive to heat. An infrared sauna is designed to operate with a milder temperature that ranges from 120-160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Q. 2: How many times a week should you use an infrared sauna?
A. There is no stipulated session you can get involved in within a week. Nevertheless, an infrared sauna is pretty safe for daily usage. And if done regularly, soon enough, you will experience wellness improvement. 30-45 minutes is the average session for most people, and this can range from 3-4 times within a week.
Q. 3: Should you drink water during a sauna?
A. You will need to drink enough water before getting into the sauna. This will provide your body enough time and help you hydrate properly. You drinking water while the sauna session is ongoing is not active as pre-hydrating before the start of the session.
Q. 4: Are infrared saunas bad for your eyes?
A. The spectrum of the wavelength used by an infrared sauna is not much of a threat to the human eye. So, this is not one of their possible health hazards.
Q. 5: Should you shower after an infrared sauna?
A. It is essential to take a warm shower after each session. Doing this will help wash off all forms of toxins on your skin. Since the pores to your skin are open, a bath will help prevent your pores from clogging. There are steam showers on the market with what you won’t have to take a bath separately though.